Let the Games Begin Part 1

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Games!

Everybody likes games and competitions, after all sports drive much of today's mainstream entertainment.
Next month in fact, we will again be witness to a massive smorgasbord of winter sports during the Winter Olympics in  Sochi Russia.

So that got me thinking about Steampunk games and sports. There are not a lot of them out there frankly. Recently there has been interest in Tea Duelling in our area which is fun. The Honourable Association of Tea Duellists publish a lovely set of rules available at their website here. And while this is certainly a fine way to pass an evening or afternoon, I was thinking that we need something grander to sink our teeth into, so to speak.

Then I remembered an incident at the Beakerhead festival in Calgary this last September. There was a good representation of Calgary Steampunks involved in adding some classy colour to the event and during one afternoon along the major downtown mall two lovely Ladies got into a duel!

What rules and etiquette applies to this I wondered?
Perhaps this is something that could become a "sport" with competitions and skills and stories to go along with it.

A Steampunk Sport and a fine Lady like one at that!

I have been working on a draft set of rules for Parasol Duelling.  I still need to do some actual experiments to make sure it is workable, fun, and safe for Ladies and Parasols both of course.  But once I have a workable scheme I will publish the rules here so others can try them out too.

Who knows, maybe sometime in the future there could be a World Championship Parasol Duelling competition at a major Steampunk event!

Stay tuned for more developments as they occur.

Keep your sightglass full, your firebox trimmed and your water iced.
KJ

~ 2 comments: ~

Laura Morrigan says:
at: January 17, 2014 at 6:10 AM said...

We recently started Tea Duelling in Australia too. I just got home from a tea duel about half an hour ago, funnily enough!

I would love to hear more about parasol duelling! Can't wait!

Have you heard of the Chap Olympiad? I was making a list a while ago of some of the events they had there, in hope of getting them started in the local Steampunk groups. I will have a look and try and see if I can find my notes.

I also found a reprinted old book of children's games at the bookstore today, so I am wondering about what other games we could play. I wonder if any kid's games would apply well to adults. I have always wanted to play Blind Man's Buff.

KJ says:
at: January 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM said...

Thanks Laura.
I love Synchronicity like that!
Just looked up the Chap Olympiad, thanks for the link there is definitely a lot of games there that we could "borrow" for Steampunks to do.

~ Post a Comment ~

About Gears, Goggles, and Steam oh My!

Here I collect interesting bits of information related to the world of Steampunk.

Category List

Absinthium (12) accessories (15) Airships (69) Art (1) Beakerhead (3) Books (65) comics (5) computation (11) costumes (16) etiquette (19) events (30) fiction (87) Flight Engineer (33) Fun (57) games (36) history (109) howto (21) Inventions (57) manners (6) Meetup Repost (90) movies (4) music (4) Musings (44) mystery (23) news (8) Parasol Duelling (46) Photos (67) Pie In the Sky (3) poetry (1) resources (50) Role Playing (59) Serial Story (28) Ships (39) Steam (34) Steampunk Sports (26) Tesla (13) video (77) website (57) What Ifs (16)

Recent Comments

Theme images by sndr. Powered by Blogger.

Followers