The past in colour.

Sunday, July 5, 2015


History to me was always Black and White.

Previously I posted how colour changed how I viewed history. How the modern wars of the 20th C were mostly in black and white whereas the wars of history were in colour, but the colour of romanticized paintings.

The same goes for the early days of photography, which of course was black and white.

Now through the use of computers and careful analysis, artists can recreate classic photos from the past in colour.

Posted on Powerful Primates are a selection of  53 Colourized Photos from the Past

These pictures produce an odd effect for me.  My mind does not know how to treat obviously historic images when they are so realistically coloured. It's as if I can't figure out if they are real or not. If they were in their original black and white form that wouldn't be a problem.

Here are some examples for you:


Madison Square Park New York City around 1900.
Mark Twain in 1900


Union Soldiers taking a break in 1863


See what I mean?


I recommend checking out the linked article for more fascinating photographs.

Keep your sightglass full, your firebox trimmed and your water iced.
KJ






~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

About Gears, Goggles, and Steam oh My!

Here I collect interesting bits of information related to the world of Steampunk.

Category List

Absinthium (12) accessories (15) Airships (69) Art (1) Beakerhead (3) Books (65) comics (5) computation (11) costumes (16) etiquette (19) events (30) fiction (87) Flight Engineer (33) Fun (57) games (36) history (109) howto (21) Inventions (57) manners (6) Meetup Repost (90) movies (4) music (4) Musings (44) mystery (23) news (8) Parasol Duelling (46) Photos (67) Pie In the Sky (3) poetry (1) resources (50) Role Playing (59) Serial Story (28) Ships (39) Steam (34) Steampunk Sports (26) Tesla (13) video (77) website (57) What Ifs (16)

Recent Comments

Theme images by sndr. Powered by Blogger.

Followers