Mystery Part VII

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Wedding Mischief

Here is the next post of Jayne Barnard's "The Evil Eye of Africa."

The first post is here.
A list of all the characters is here.

You can get all the posts by clicking on the mystery tag.

Keep your sightglass full, your firebox trimmed and your water iced.
KJ


"The Evil Eye of Africa"
By Jayne Barnard

A Guess-the-Murderer Mystery in Two Acts

Act I: The Headlines Thicken

The Foghorn Afloat

July 29, 1898


ROMANTIC AIRSHIP-BOARD WEDDING


Photo: Sir Ambrose Peacock and his beautiful bride
On his recent trip to Egypt, Sir Ambrose Peacock lost an uncle but gained a bride.

Meeting her on a stopover in Venice, the English knight lost no time in winning the fair lady’s hand. They were married aboard an airship en route back to London.

“Lady Peacock knew my uncle in Cairo,” said Sir Ambrose, when the pair disembarked from a small commercial airship at the Jamaica Inn in Cornwall, the closest regular stop to Boddy Manor.

“He spoke of me so frequently and warmly that she fell half in love with me before we ever met. No, he didn’t tell her where he was going.”
Sir Ambrose’s uncle, Baron von Boddy, was on a quest for a fabled Nubian treasure when his airship was found adrift over the English Channel.

In response to questions directed at his lovely new wife, Sir Ambrose replied for her. “Yes, I’m sure she will enjoy living in my uncle’s isolated manor in Cornwall. No, I’m sure she won’t find Bodmin Moor in the winter at all uncongenial. I hope my uncle gets declared dead soon so I can sell off a few things.”

As this reporter turned away, Sir Ambrose grasped my sleeve. “I don’t suppose you could lend me a fiver? My wife and I have excess baggage charges and the airship won’t unload our trunks until we pay
up.”

 Photo: mine house on moor, with airship overhead, reputed to be the Jules Verne

Click here for the next installment.

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

About Gears, Goggles, and Steam oh My!

Here I collect interesting bits of information related to the world of Steampunk.

Category List

Absinthium (12) accessories (15) Airships (69) Art (1) Beakerhead (3) Books (65) comics (5) computation (11) costumes (16) etiquette (19) events (30) fiction (87) Flight Engineer (33) Fun (57) games (36) history (109) howto (21) Inventions (57) manners (6) Meetup Repost (90) movies (4) music (4) Musings (44) mystery (23) news (8) Parasol Duelling (46) Photos (67) Pie In the Sky (3) poetry (1) resources (50) Role Playing (59) Serial Story (28) Ships (39) Steam (34) Steampunk Sports (26) Tesla (13) video (77) website (57) What Ifs (16)

Recent Comments

Theme images by sndr. Powered by Blogger.

Followers