Mystery Part VI

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Contretemps in the hallowed halls

Here is the next post of Jayne Barnard's "The Evil Eye of Africa."

The first post is here.
A list of all the characters is here.

You can get all the posts by clicking on the mystery tag.

Keep your sightglass full, your firebox trimmed and your water iced.
KJ



"The Evil Eye of Africa"
By Jayne Barnard

A Guess-the-Murderer Mystery in Two Acts

Act I: The Headlines Thicken

The University Times

July 27, 1898


INDY BROWN’S CASE AGAINST PROFESSOR PLUM


Photo Indiana Brown and Professor Plum nose to nose in Balliol Fellows dining hall

A new wrinkle arose in the mysterious case of the missing baron, when American adventurer Henry “Indiana” Brown levelled a public accusation at Professor Polonius Plum for the theft of his research into the fabled Eye of Africa mask.

“We both attended the annual meeting of the Association for Archaeology in Academia a couple months back, in New York City. We came on to England on the same trans-oceanic airship,” said Brown. “I showed him the map. I put it into my book trunk right in front of him, and next day the whole trunk vanished.
“As soon as I heard that Baron guy was on the trail of the Eye of Africa when he got lost , I knew the Professor had shanghai’d my research for him. And I’ll prove it, by gum, or my name isn’t Henry Walton Brown, Junior.”

In terms not suitable for newspaper publication, Brown expressed his intent to follow the professor to Cornwall, where the latter hopes to curate Baron von Boddy’s papers for the Balliol Library. Said Brown, “And when I catch up to him, I’ll punch him right in the schnoz!”

  Hand-drawn facsimile of mask Brown claims to have researched thoroughly

Click here for the next installment.                       

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

About Gears, Goggles, and Steam oh My!

Here I collect interesting bits of information related to the world of Steampunk.

Category List

Absinthium (12) accessories (15) Airships (69) Art (1) Beakerhead (3) Books (65) comics (5) computation (11) costumes (16) etiquette (19) events (30) fiction (87) Flight Engineer (33) Fun (57) games (36) history (109) howto (21) Inventions (57) manners (6) Meetup Repost (90) movies (4) music (4) Musings (44) mystery (23) news (8) Parasol Duelling (46) Photos (67) Pie In the Sky (3) poetry (1) resources (50) Role Playing (59) Serial Story (28) Ships (39) Steam (34) Steampunk Sports (26) Tesla (13) video (77) website (57) What Ifs (16)

Recent Comments

Theme images by sndr. Powered by Blogger.

Followers